Monday, March 31, 2014

Character Interview: Chihiro Fujisaki

(Good fiction requires good characters who promote inspiration and aspiration. To demonstrate this, we shall be looking at characters from multiple series and judging how deep their archetypes go. We shall be calling upon individuals who take on the personas of their favorite characters in order to establish these traits).

CHARACTER INTERVIEW!

Interviewee: Chihiro Fujisaki (Danganronpa)
Portrayed by: @MalkyKaren (Twitter)
Bio: We've already covered many facets of Chihiro's personality in an earlier blog post. This androgynous tech wizard became the SHSL Programmer though persistent development of a computer AI which could recognize voice commands. This character's work aided us by providing deeper insight into how computer AI can function. Today we are looking at them on a more personal level.

Q: What is your name and what do you commonly do?

A: My name is Chihiro Fujisaki... I-I'm a student at Hope's Peak Academy... Uhm.. In my spare time, I program!

Q: What kind of things do you like to program?

A: Well I am working on the one project for my friends, but that's a secret for now...

Q: I want you to talk about an event which deeply impacted you emotionally. How did you feel as the event unfolded? What did you hope for as the end result, and how did you feel when things turned out the way they did?

W-well, that's one story that I can tell...

So when I did enter Hope's Peak, I blacked out once I took a step in the academy... I did meet my other classmates, and this one bear-robot named Monokuma... Monokuma tried to get everyone to kill each other for his amusement! I-I was definitely scared... Scared that we were all going to die... Two people have died so far, and I don't think I'll be able to stop it by myself, at least...

Q: Though you do not want to die, do you feel that, should the need come for you to put your life on the line, you could do so?

A: T-there are definitely people here that I want to make sure are safe, and if that means being strong and risking my life, I will..! I want to be remembered as someone who was strong and courageous!

Q: I want you to talk about a great achievement. What motivated you to push forward in this endeavor?

A: Probably, one of my greatest achievements was finally deciding that I want to be stronger! I was bullied a lot when I was younger, so I did develop a complex about it, but Mondo Owada promised that he would help me work out and get stronger!

Since he's the Ultimate Biker, I would assume that he can help me... I respect him so much for being strong!

Q: What is a value that you hope to instill in other people? What is it you want people to learn from having met you?

A: Courage! Like I said earlier, I want people to remember me as someone strong, someone brave...D-definitely not how my friends see me right now..

Q:  I understand that you wish to lead by example, but in the event something goes wrong, what word of wisdom would you give to others on your behalf?

A: I want my friends to know that you have to destroy that weak part of yourself that always uses lies to escape...! You'll never become brave and change for the better doing things that way...

Q: Is there anything which you regret thus far?

A: I wish I could tell my friends my secret right away, but it's too late for that at this point...

Q: What is your opinion on secrets? You mention them a lot. Do you feel they are necessary or unnecessary, and why?

A: Secrets are alright for everyone to have, but... As long it's not used against you, they're fine... In the case that they are used against you, you should tell the people you worry about right away!

(Final Question): These interviews are something of an experimental thing. Are there any questions you feel we should ask future interviewees about?

A: Hmmn... I would say "Would you trust the fate of everyone, including your own, to one person?" Because Naegi has been doing a lot of things right in the class trials, and I think he's our only hope of getting out of Hope's Peak...
---------------------------

(Scores for Inspiration and Aspiration shall be out of four instead of three, for a grand total of eight possible).

Inspiration (2/4): There are a lot of things we can say for and against Fujisaki from an inspiration standpoint. Their ability to problem-solve originated entirely from trial and error which isn't the most reliable strategy and can backfire horrifically at times. That said, the way Fujisaki made computing personal was very clever.

Science and its applications serve primarily as a way to meet the needs of individuals or collectives. For Fujisaki, there was a desire for a companion. Since they could not find one, they decided to make one in a rather Frankenstein-esque manner, throwing things at the proverbial wall until they meshed together. Though simplistic and even primitive, it highlights the peculiarity of all things being correlated in some fashion.

We can learn from and emulate this on the grounds that if you do something enough times, trends will appear naturally. Sometimes randomness truly is the key to achieving perfection, although it takes a significantly long time to become so.

Aspiration (3/4): From the interview itself, we could derive a few key traits of Fujisaki's personality: the need to become stronger and a desire for self-respect. Fujisaki's past is drenched in fear and lies about their feelings and motivations in order to remain closed off from violent elements. However, they were quite clear to express that living within those lies creates a certain hollowness to one's character. (Note there is a sort of irony here as Mondo Oowada displayed many of the traits Fujisaki criticises - more here).

In a way, Fujisaki's story is one of atonement, with them desiring to forgive themselves for their own foolishness from earlier life events. We learn that it is never too late to change ourselves, or to be the change we wish to see in the world, but we have to be honest with ourselves and with each other in order to do so. Finally, they teach us that sometimes, to improve oneself requires putting one's trust in another, choosing to no longer go it alone, which is also a very important quality. It shows humility and breaks down the barriers of arrogance which tend to show in our distrust of other people. 

Verdict (5/8): Chihiro Fujisaki is by no means a perfect person. We find they have many personal faults and a rather disorganized methodology to them. But for what it's worth, Fujisaki is a pure-hearted individual who delivers great lessons in their own unorthodox manner. While not a leader, Fujisaki is a great teacher and a semi-plausible character case-study.

No comments:

Post a Comment