Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Character Interview: Kamui Junketsu (Ryuuko Matoi Synchronization)

(Good fiction requires good characters who promote inspiration and aspiration. To demonstrate this, we shall be looking at characters from multiple series and judging how deep their archetypes go. We shall be calling upon individuals who take on the personas of their favorite characters in order to establish these traits).

CHARACTER INTERVIEW!

Interviewee: Kamui Junketsu as worn by Ryuuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
Portrayed by: @junketsumatoiii  (Twitter)
Bio: Like Senketsu, Junketsu is a uniform composed entirely of life fibers, imbued with all sorts of transformative abilities. Unlike Senketsu, however, this kamui is more feral in nature, lacking the means to properly communicate with its wearer much of the time. It also has one goal: spreading life fibers. Satsuki Kiryuin placed herself in great danger when trying to tame the beast within Junketsu. Ragyo Kiryuin, meanwhile, connected easily with the kamui due to their shared goals. But what about when Ryuuko Matoi was made to wear it? What happened then?

Q: Tell the world who you are. Are you of one mind and body, or two separate consciousnesses? Would you say that you are more Junketsu as a personality than Ryuuko Matoi, being influenced by Junketsu, from a psychological point of view?
A: I'd probably say the latter... the other Ryuuko wearing Senketsu, that tacky kamui, is separate from me. I think I'm more like Ryuuko being influenced by Junketsu... mother rewired my brain so that I would surrender to the embrace of the Life Fibers.

Q: I want to talk about your perspective toward your friends and family members. When you are like this, how do you feel toward them? Would you say that you feel sad for them? From your perspective, is yours a desire to see them converted to your side more than to see them eradicated?
A: The only family members I have now are my mother, Ragyo and my sister, Nui... I feel comfortable around them knowing that like me, they want to take over the world with the Life Fibers. Meanwhile, there's Satsuki, Mako and the rest of Honnouji Academy and Nudist Beach on the other side. They're going against the Life Fibers, so on instinct, I oppose them... however, when outside of the battlefield I'm kind of neutral against them. Mako, on the other hand... she still respects me even if I'm wearing Junketsu and defected from the good side, simply because I'm still Ryuuko... so I feel comfortable around her and I have less resentment towards her compared to everyone else. With that in mind, maybe I do want them to join REVOCS so my beloved can still be with me, rather than having to eradicate them simply because she's good and I'm evil.

Q: Your goal, at the most primal level, is the spread of life fibers across the planet. Were that no longer viable, what would you do instead? 
A: Hmm... if I'm unable to spread the Life Fibers across the Earth.. then I have no purpose here anymore. However, it means I could stop fighting so I could be with my beloved....

Q: What is a dream for you? Something that you want but feel you may never have?
A: Well... I guess having my friends on the good side surrender to clothing and the Life Fibers would be my dream. Knowing them, they probably won't join me, but, you know, a Life Fiber-infused girl can dream.

Q: If you could influence the world, what value would you instill in others?
A: If I could influence the world, huh...? If I did, all I care is that they wear REVOCS-branded clothing, that's it.
-----------------------------------------------------

Inspiration (1.75/4): Junketsu was, in many ways, integral to the success or failure of the life fiber crusade; at the same time, though, it did very little of its own accord (much like Senketsu). To get a better understanding of this kamui, we need to go back and look at what it was a symbol of. Dr. Soichiro Kiryuin regarded it as a "wedding dress," but those who put it on would be a "slave to clothing." In a way, Junketsu's influence was like a euphoria taking over the mind. With all euphoria, there is a subconscious desire to hold onto that feeling, and to be consumed by it. Satsuki's fight was to avoid the addiction, while Ragyo accepted it wholeheartedly. As for Ryuuko? She indulged in it for a time, and the struggle to get away from it nearly killed her.

Aspiration (2/4): The interesting thing about Junketsu is it never fully took over a person's senses (again, much like an addiction only partially cripples the mind and body). So while Ryuuko acted upon its whims, it did not stop her from retaining some of her emotions and beliefs. Furthermore, Junketsu was not seeking violence for the sake of violence; it acted only when necessary and the mission was always the top priority. Junketsu shares a lot of connections to Ragyo Kiryuin which, if we were to analyze further, might allow us to draw rather interesting parallels of a familial nature between Junketsu and Satsuki Kiryuin.

Verdict (3.75/8): Kamui Junketsu's personality is not definitive, and adjusts according to the relationship it holds with its wearer. That said, there is plenty we still do not understand about this kamui; therefore, we have to give it a depth rating slightly lower than its counterpart, kamui Senketsu.

No comments:

Post a Comment