Sunday, May 4, 2014

Character Interview: Kamui Senketsu (AU/Female)

(Good fiction requires good characters who promote inspiration and aspiration. To demonstrate this, we shall be looking at characters from multiple series and judging how deep their archetypes go. We shall be calling upon individuals who take on the personas of their favorite characters in order to establish these traits).

CHARACTER INTERVIEW!

Interviewee: Kamui Senketsu (Kill La Alternate Universe)
Portrayed by: @SenketsuFemale  (Twitter)
Bio: The female form of Kamui Senketsu. This doppelganger also has the ability to transform into a human, thanks to structures present in her Life-Fiber DNA. We sat down with her to gain insight into her thoughts on both humans and life-fibers.

Q: Please tell us your name, your position within your world's Honnouji Academy, and your weapon of choice when facing an opposing threat.
A: Hey, I'm Senketsu... My position in the Academy is on Matoi Ryūko of course... And he is my weapon if that counts...

Q: When your world was being plagued by the life fibers, what sort of thoughts were going through your mind? What were your goals, and who were the people you thought about most?
A: Ah~ my worries are always on Ryūko... That's the best way I could have answered that. And my goals set forth by my creator had been to protect the Ryūko from my world... But now I feel I should try my best to protect both, so I've shifted to female Ryūko. It's odd I know...

Q: In your opinion, what differences do you notice between the male and female Ryūko counterparts?
A: Well, as of late Female Ryūko seems to be much stronger at heart than Male Ryūko... And Male Ryūko is stronger in brute force...

Q: Nowadays, you're seen spending time with your doppelgangers at the other Honnouji. What has that been like for you? And what are your goals while living there?
A: Well it's a hell of an experience I'll give you that much... And I think my goals here are to try and meet everyone if possible...

Q: I want you to talk specifically about your other half. What is one thing you criticize about them, and one thing you feel they excel at?
A: Nothing too serious. I honestly feel as if nothing matters when it comes to the fights everyone is having as of late... The war is over; there is no reason to harm yourself and someone else out of anger anymore...

Q: When facing your world's life fiber crisis, what is one thing you decided to do differently than your other half?
A: Well I'm not so sure about if what I did was different or not, but I was restraining Ryūko quite a bit...

Q: Finally, out of all of the doppelgangers from the other Honnouji, who is your absolute favorite?
A: It goes without saying Ryūko-chan takes the crown~!
----------------------------------------

(Reminder: Scores for AU/EU characters are Contrast - out of 3, and Overlap - out of 4. Max score for Verdict is 5. Contrast deals with the direction of the character while overlap deals with homages to the original.)

Contrast (2/3): The idea of giving Senketsu a humanoid form was a much-needed one, as many of the criticisms of the original had to do with the inability to act without the aid of a wearer. She is free to act on her own desires and become her own individual, which will lend itself to some rather interesting developments.

Overlap (2/4): Her desire to become a mediator or arbiter for both sides of Honnouji is well-suited and in the spirit of the original kamui. That said, there is a noticeable degree of nervousness and uncertainty within her. I wouldn't consider her a mother figure as much as a younger sister to both male and female Ryūko, pushing them both to set a good example.

Verdict (2.83/5): The male and female Kamui Senketsu are wholly different beings, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Where the female Senketsu shines is in her potential not just to impart wisdom, but to learn a few lessons of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment