CHARACTER INTERVIEW!
Interviewee: Ira Gamagoori (Kill La Kill)
Portrayed by: @IGamagoori (Twitter)
Bio: One of the Four Devas, Gamagoori serves as the Honnouji Academy Disciplinary Chairman. His three-star Goku uniform has a double transformation which uses a sadism/masochism as its archetype. Most importantly, he considers himself the shield to Satsuki Kiryuin, ready to lay down his life if need be.
Q: What is your name and what do you commonly do?
A: My name is IRA GAMAGOORI! I am Disciplinary Committee Chairman. I enforce rules and uphold a reputation for Honnouji Academy.
Q: I want you to talk about an event which deeply impacted you emotionally. How did you feel as the event unfolded? What did you hope for as the end result, and how did you feel when things turned out the way they did?
A: As I recall there was one...We were on the Tri-City raid trip. I recall the situation where we had surrounded the Nudist Beach forces. We arrived in Osaka and finally forced Nudist Beach out of hiding. But we had a bit of an issue when the transfer student arrived and complicated things. We had the upper hand, but as usual Matoi intervened and nearly defeated our leader, Lady Satsuki. We were at a standoff since I had the recover the scissor blade. Although Matoi somehow took Satsuki's blade and had her at throat length. I had to stand down to halt the standoff and we had to retreat.
Q: When the situation arises where your superior's life takes precedence over the success of the mission, how do you feel? Do you take it as a personal failure, or does the ability to remain as Lady Satsuki's shield soften that blow?
A: I seriously took that as a personal failure since Mankanshoku had the scissor blade and wasn't in a position to compromise. But..since then I have made up that loss with the utter most discipline and carried out any and all orders that Satsuki has given.
Q: Inversely, I want you to talk about a great achievement. What motivated you to push forward in this endeavor?
A: My motivation was my loyalty to Satsuki Kiryuin. She empowered me to succeed and helped shape me into what is now considered an exemplary role model.
Q: What would you feel is the greatest lesson Satsuki Kiryuin has taught you?
A: She has taught me this.."Those who lack resolve are incapable of wiping away their own tears."
Q: What is a value that you hope to instill in other people? What is it you want people to learn from having met you?
A: I merely want them to learn that discipline has its benefits and eventually the students will learn to discipline themselves.
Q: What do you feel is your best approach or tactic to instill this trait in others?
A: The best approach is to be tough and hard on each and every one of the students regardless of who they are and show them this academy means business.
Q: Is there anything which you regret thus far?
A: I regret nothing.
-------------------------------
Inspiration (1.5/4): Honestly, Gamagoori's character bothers me for all kinds of reasons, although most of it has to do with events which occurred during the Naturals Election. It was a time where he and Ryuuko Matoi were forced to team up temporarily, and in doing so, the two gained a new respect for one another. However, it was short lived, and by that I mean it lasted an hour. He drops the girl off at a gas station and they do not reconvene until the three-star face-off. Gamagoori had every opportunity to connect with Ryuuko during this weeklong period and chose not to. Therefore, I shall grade him incredibly harshly for this alone.
Aspiration (2/4): "Discipline Always" is pretty par-for-the-course with him, but I will say I like the motto he has chosen to live by. It reveals that at the end of the day Gamagoori remains very much his own person, and while he does swear complete loyalty to Satsuki Kiryuin, he will not hesitate to act on his own moral code when the situation calls for it. When we discussed conviction in an earlier article, this is what we were referring to.
Verdict (3.5/8): Unfortunately, Gamagoori never fully displays the depth we would like to see from him. There's not really anything else I can say.
No comments:
Post a Comment