CHARACTER INTERVIEW!
Interviewee: Uzu Sanageyama (Kill La Kill)
Portrayed by: @Full_Kanto (Twitter)
Bio: Uzu Sanageyama is one of the Four Devas at Honnouji Academy. He oversees the school's athletic division, and prides himself in maintaining a warrior's spirit. We sat down with him to get a word in regards to the Life Fiber Crusade and its aftermath.
Q: What is your name and what do you commonly do?
A: Hah! The name is Uzu Sanageyama! I'm the head honcho for the Honnouji Academy Physical Fitness Committee, and one of the "Four Devas" to Lady Satsuki.
Q: It is my understanding that prior to your enrollment at Honnouji, you were the representative of a large underground alliance. Did any of your experience from your time as a Gang Leader play into your actions as a member of the Four Devas?
A: Those were some good times! My experience from the northern Kanto region has pushed me to push my experience and outlook on life onto the others to get them fired up! Be it training, or even defending those close to us! When it comes to commanding a fired up squad, I get the damn job done!
Q: I want you to talk about an event which deeply impacted you emotionally. How did you feel as the event unfolded? What did you hope for as the end result, and how did you feel when things turned out the way they did?
A: I'll never forget the first time that transfer girl showed up to the school. I felt I was the best at my trade, but... well, you know the saying of how "someone will always be better"? No exception here. She shamed me, so to speak, and I figured if I blinded my arrogance, hilted my self-pride, I'd be able to go back to the core of what made me get into the heat of battle in the first place. Because of Ryuuko Matoi, a flame was re-lit into my heart, my soul. Heh, to the very point that, in a sense, she made me finally open my eyes for the first time.
Q: Would you say that you are on good terms with her now? In what ways do you two interact now that the Life Fiber Crusade has essentially drawn to a close?
A: Heh, well... let's just say we've pretty much become "rivals" in the ways of the blade, so much so that... uh... um.. *Looks down as he blushes* ...we k-kinda keep close together, a-and learn things, o-on a personal and emotional level...
Q: I want you to talk about a great achievement. What motivated you to push forward in this endeavor?
A: I felt that during the whole time that the stuff hit the fan and our Lady was not in sight, we managed to keep together as a team, as one. The chips were down, but we kept cool, knowing even if anything happened to her, Satsuki would be pissed if we gave up, should anything had happened to her. Hell, she'd probably haunt me if I was close to giving up.
Q: Now that Satsuki has completed her mission, and the Four Devas have completed theirs, what will you do? What direction do you feel your life needs to take once you finish out at Honnouji?
A: Hmmm.... do anyone of us really know where the wind blows? Well, okay, that was kinda lame. But in all honesty, I might just keep with the way of the sword for awhile, and who knows? Things with Ryuuko seem pretty serious, so there's also that. For the most part, just keep touch with everyone and do what I feel like needs to be done, you know?
Q: How do you feel the dynamic you have with the Four Devas, and your interactions with your team, differs from the dynamic you had as a gang leader? In what ways are the two similar?
A: Well, I was pretty damn arrogant then, a... little arrogant now? I was fresh then, still showing that the place me and my older brother can call home was something from personal pride. With the Four Devas, and despite some different outlooks on some things and some... "colorful" commentary, we all agree on one thing: Lady Satsuki is a top priority no matter what. And, I take pride in what we've accomplished, so in a sense? Yeah, I guess the "personal glory" for our work would be similar.
Q: What is a value that you hope to instill in other people? What is it you want people to learn from having met you?
A: Even when backed into a corner, there are things far worse than giving up and calling it quits! Simply put? People need to learn to press on and battle 'til you drop!
Q: Is there anything which you regret thus far?
A: Ever wished that boxers you wore the day you fought someone of which you didn't know the matchup of were made from a different, non-damaging material? I freaking do.
----------------------------------------
Inspiration (2.5/4): We have discussed the role of Gang Leaders on this blog before (Mondo Oowada of Hope's Peak comes to mind). The position of authority and the responsibility to set an example, the privilege of taking a mass of heated passion and directing it toward an action of significance, all of it is quite humbling. That said, it does lead to a serious emotional burden, one which pierces the heart and leads to pain. Uzu understood this well, and managed to carry the weight whenever it became too much for Lady Satsuki. He understood everything she was going through because he too knew how debilitating such feelings could be to the psyche. True leadership comes from the ability to maintain a professional standard, and to require such emulation from your subordinates. This lent itself to Uzu quite easily.
Aspiration (2.5/4): Being able to sit down with Uzu was quite the enjoyable experience. His optimism and energy are quite contagious. He did admit to arrogance but I would say he is quite modest about the roles he has played within the Kanto Alliance and within the Four Devas. It's easy to tell that what he desires most is self-fulfillment, the need to reach his fullest potential and to let nothing detract from the star he can be once he applies himself.
Verdict (5/8): Uzu Sanageyama is an honorable man. When we talk about leading a mass of people in a particular direction, we know that his sole priority is ensuring that the direction is a satisfying one. He pushes forward, confident that whatever works for him will work for his buddies; whatever path taken is done in unity. This makes him great to emulate.
No comments:
Post a Comment