Saturday, May 3, 2014

Character Interview - Nonon Jakuzure (AU/Male)

(Good fiction requires good characters who promote inspiration and aspiration. To demonstrate this, we shall be looking at characters from multiple series and judging how deep their archetypes go. We shall be calling upon individuals who take on the personas of their favorite characters in order to establish these traits).

CHARACTER INTERVIEW!

Interviewee: Nonon Jakuzure (Kill La Alternate Universe)
Portrayed by: @SnarkySerpent  (Twitter)
Bio: A doppelganger of the female Nonon Jakuzure. Today, we sat down with him to catch a glimpse of life for him following the Life Fiber Crusade.

Q: Please tell us your name, your position within your world's Honnouji Academy, and your weapon of choice when facing an opposing threat.
A: Hello there~ I'm Nonon Jakuzure. Sometimes I'm called Noton, but more frequently just by Jakuzure, especially by Satsuki. I am the Non-Athletic Committee Chair in my world, and am Master Satsuki's right hand man. There's just something fun about whacking people in the head with my baton, but should the need occur, I do have my Three-Star Goku Uniform, which works roughly the same way that my female counterpart's does.

Q: When your world was being plagued by the life fibers, what sort of thoughts were going through your mind? What were your goals, and who were the people you thought about most?
A: Master Satsuki was frontmost on my mind of course. It didn't matter so much what happened to me, as long as his ambition was the one whose would shine through. I knew I had to protect him at all costs.

Q: Nowadays, you're seen spending time with your doppelgangers at the other Honnouji. What has that been like for you? And what are your goals while living there?
A: I won't lie, it was very interesting to see myself as a woman. I got teased a lot back in my world for being 'feminine', but female me is pretty rad if I do say so myself. She's apparently turned Master Satsuki's eye, so she knows what she's doing. Seeing male Sanageyama around is still a bit... weird. He's about as dense as his female self though, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Seeing Gamagoori has a huge man though was probably the funniest thing I've seen though when it comes to our doppelgangers. However, I feel the best I've found is Lady Satsuki, who I very much enjoy serving and spending time with. As for goals? Hm.. I don't have many other than to please Lady Satsuki as I can. As long as she and Master Satsuki are happy in their respective ways, that's all I can ask for!

Q: I want you to talk specifically about your other half. What is one thing you criticize about them, and one thing you feel they excel at?
A: Hmm.. The one female me that's dating Master Satsuki is pretty perfect. She doesn't have anything that I can criticize~ However I believe there's one seeing the dog? *Laughs* That won't end up well.. I think she might want to think again on that one.. or at least not be around when he's playing League. All of my female versions excel amazingly at music, just as I do myself, so they're all wonderful in that respect!

Q: When facing your world's life fiber crisis, what is one thing you decided to do differently than your other half?
A: Good question.. I haven't gotten a chance to speak with her yet, but I know I threw myself in the fray of battle as often as possible to take the stress off Master Satsuki. I hated seeing him have to fight.

Q: As an aside, is there any advice you would give your female half, given that she is dating Master Satsuki?
A: Learn how to make tea. The Master loves it, and if you can learn how to make tea to his liking he'll never forget you.

Q: Finally, out of all of the doppelgangers from the other Honnouji, who is your absolute favorite? Other than Lady Satsuki, obviously?
A: *Laughs* Darn! You stole my answer~! Can I pick myself? I'd absolutely pick myself that's dating Master Satsuki. Maybe if for no other reason than being excited that she gets to date him? *Laughs sweetly*
--------------------------------------------

(Reminder: Scores for AU/EU characters are Contrast - out of 3, and Overlap - out of 4. Max score for Verdict is 5. Contrast deals with the direction of the character while overlap deals with homages to the original.)

Contrast (1.5/3): The most important factors pertaining to Noton up until this point have been attraction and empathy, not just of the female Satsuki but of the male one also. Much of the conflict surrounding this character pertained to his feelings for both Satsuki counterparts, and the inability to effectively prioritize said emotions. Once that was overcome, Noton then faded into relative obscurity from a plot-perspective (conflict-resolution kind of does that). I'm curious to see where his character goes from here, and if new conflicts will arise, but it doesn't seem too likely.

Overlap (3.5/4): Other than minor physical differences, the two Jakuzure's are nearly identical. The themes which come from learning to understand being around others, understanding the nature of friendship and love, and knowing when to let go - all of these things come into play for both counterparts. It was a real treat seeing the very minor differences in how these two went about dealing with their turmoils, and the way these two help each others' relationships is rather amazing.

Verdict (3.81/5) When I think about it in its entirety, the phrase which comes to mind is "Wish Fulfillment." For those who wanted to see a relationship blossom between Jakuzure and Satsuki, they were granted not one, but two nearly identical ones to witness. But as incredible as that is, it is also quite limited. Noton has put himself on the path to maturing, ending his inner conflict. Unless something big happens in his life to upset the status quo, he will find his spotlight beginning to fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment